I’m not going to lie—I am counting the days until Thanksgiving so I can be with my family and indulge in turkey, dressing, and desserts!
Working with FSO tasks on a daily basis can have its challenges. There are unreturned emails, sitting on hold “all circuits are busy now”, trying to figure out new systems and creating new email instructions of eAPP …I (honestly!) could go on, but you get my point.
However, I do have gratitude for the constant (and sometimes overwhelming) resources DCSA, NCMS, and other organizations provide to help us get smarter about what we do!
If you are still not checking out the www.DCSA.mil website—you are really missing out!
DCSA has worked hard to provide a greatly enhanced user experience on the website.
Why Use the DCSA Website?
If you have a DCSA Rep who responds to you immediately (we are looking at you Christy Morris and Matt Wells! We love you guys!) then that is awesome! If your Rep is busy (and they are ALL super busy right now with all the security reviews that came roaring in after COVID restrictions lifted), the website is a wealth of information at your disposal!
When Should We Check the DCSA Website?
Other than when you are trying to find an answer to a NISP-related question, you should check it once a week. Seriously. Any time there are industry changes, outages, resources for security awareness month, Call Center closings, etc., they put that on the website first. Once, I called the call center for a question and been told “it’s been on the website for 2 months.” Even though that response made me feel a little throat-punchy, he was right. It was there and I should have checked the website!
What Would Help Me?
Here are some items on the website that can really help your programs.
• What’s New? Updates and links to social media to X, LinkedIn, Facebook – even job postings!
• Having trouble with NBIS? There are links to courses and job aids for both (we are also sending these directly to the FSO PRO Members)
• Clearance Questions for Personnel? Resources for applicants and check the status and verify an investigator. Resources for completing SF85, SF86 and self reporting fact sheets!
• Reporting a security change or concern. Fingerprint Transmission Instructions and timing re- minders.
• How to sponsor a Facility Clearance and the Process? Facility Clearance Branch contact information and instructions.
• You Need More Training? Courses and links for all new CENTER FOR DEVELOPMENT OF SECURITY EXCELLENCE (CDSE) training.
Helping your organization wrap up the year!
It is time to wrap up the year and go into 2023 with hope for something better. Over the next 2 newsletters, we will outline ways to complete any pending and extra tasks and close out the year on a good note—and we will share the “Road to a Superior Rating” along with things we find that work!
Five ways FSOs can begin to help wrap up 2023!
1. Complete all Annual Requirements for your Security Program. (We send our FSO PRO Members a checklist!)
2. Update Annual Training requirements that are contract specific.
3. Review and update your NISS Facility Profile and make sure it is all up-to-date!
4. Update personnel training rosters and personnel security folders.
5. Provide security metrics to your Senior Management Official.
Other Contract Specific Actions!
1. Perm Cert VARS: Before the new year kicks off, make sure you have updated any Visit Authorization Requests in DISS or on forms to continue access for personnel who are on a contract that was just extended. Make it for as long as you can – usually 12 months is permitted in DISS.
2. Contract Specific Training: Many new awards come with “complete this training in the first 30 days” requirements such as Insider Threat, Cyber-Challenge, Anti-Terrorism, or PII. These requirements are often indicated in the performance work statement (PWS) or Statement of Work (SOW). Make sure you are helping to in-process personnel correctly by including this training with other Security On-boarding items.
3. Speaking of On-Boarding:
Tweak your onboarding checklists to ensure all items are covered: training, forms, VARs, badges, eAPP instructions, SEAD 3 procedures, keys, parking passes, alarm code updates, citizenship verifications, new investigations, OCONUS/Theater travel prep, SF312s… add any new items and remove old ones that were contract-specific.
Rosters: People have left (good riddance, Bob!) and new people have arrived. Plug new names into any security matrix you have for clearance count, training rosters, clearance investigation tracking, and foreign travel. Remove the old ones and archive their records. Make sure they are separated/debriefed from DISS properly (run subject reports!). Finally, destroy any old SF86 information and archive their records.
Update Senior Management: It is so important to keep the Senior Management Official engaged with the security program. One of the best ways is to provide them with Security Capability Metrics. Create bullets that: show percentages of clearances (ex: 50% of all personnel hold TS Clearances), FCL Levels (Top Secret FCL with Secret Storage and COMSEC Account), eligibility “we can support Top Secret clearances and SCI Designations” and, of course, training responses (ex: 90% of personnel participated with the FBI “Movie Day”!). Having Senior Management’s buy- in is valuable to what you are doing AND to Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency!
Looking for FSO Gifts this Season?
Check out the FSO PRO Shop!
- SVA Binders to organize your year!
- Coffee Mugs!
- Membership – helping FSOs with questions, products, and at the moment—self inspections!
- Training Videos for cleared personnel!
- One Hour FSO Support!
- Security Review Prep!
Let’s Have Some Fun!
I know, as a rule, Security Officers frown on using social media. That’s a good rule.
However, our social media guru, Shea, has been putting together some fun, free things that will add a smile to your FSO heart and maybe test your knowledge on Facebook and Twitter!
Here are a few posts:
- NISPOM Rule “Pop Quiz”
- FSO Memes
- Announcements and threat awareness
- Quick Tips & Ideas
- Motivational Quotes
Contests with Prizes for FSOs—Last month to enter!!!
Need more explanation or assistance with any items mentioned this month?
Contact FSO PRO!
Looking for FSO Gifts? Check out the FSO PRO Shop!
* Security Review Binders!
* Coffee Mugs!
* Membership Clubs!
* Training Videos!
* One Hour FSO Support!
* Security Review Prep!
FSO PRO thanks all the FSOs out there for everything you do to keep the warfighter safe. Even the smallest task is designed to keep our nation’s information out of the hands of those who would do harm. We, as FSOs, are doing our part to stay vigilant and determined to protect those who protect us, even in our own small way.
That is why we say how awesome you are. And thank you.