What great FSO’s read!
Corkpop! Happy 2020!Before we get into the ways we FSO Superheroes are going to have an amazing year, let’s sum up all the BIG changes for FSOs in 2019. 1. New Name: DSS was renamed and rebranded DCSA – have you changed all your documents/memos?
2. New Acting Director: Charles S. Phalen – Read his bio!
3. New website: DCSA.mil
4. New eligibility status: Over 87K moved into “Continuous Evaluation” to reduce the backlog.
5. NAESOC: National “Access Elsewhere” Security Oversight Committee to reduce the amount of on-site inspections.
6. New types of Inspections: Continuous Monitoring, Meaningful Engagement, Security Vulnerability Assessment (SVA), Enhanced SVA, Comprehensive Review based on the size of your programs.
7. New Methodology for FSOs: Risk-based approach – not just a checklist anymore.
8. New Investigation timelines: Interims: 15 – 30 days – time it takes to obtain an interim (time starts when VROC receives the case); T3s – 137 days, T5s – 232 days, T3Rs – 220 days, T5Rs – 321 days. Effective immediately, ALL T5s and T5Rs will be adjudicated for TS/SCI regardless of the contract they are currently working
9. New “tailored” plans – SPPs and Insider Threat programs that are specific to your organization.
10. The Effectiveness of your Insider Threat Plan – it is not enough just to have plan written down, DCSA is looking at how effective YOUR plan is for your organization!
- Complete all FSO Courses!
- Complete a formal SelfInspection.
- Review DD254s for compliance and correctness.
- NATO Briefing if required.
- Administer the Insider Threat Briefing & Annual Refresher Briefing.
- Enroll for a NISS Account through the DCSA Portal.
- Log into JPAS, NISS, and DISS on a regular basis.
- Initiate Periodic Reinvestigations as needed.
- Remove/Add personnel and access as needed from all system of records as needed.
- Get your free, 1-page “2020 FSO Action Planner” from FSO PRO to plan the new year.
- Take your Vitamins! (We promised Mom we’d say that.)
The 20-Step Plan to an Extraordinary Year!We are offering 20 steps for 2020 (see what we did there?) so you can be the FSO you want to be in 2020! It is not difficult, as long as you have the dedication, focus, correct tools, and of course – the FSO PRO team at your disposal! Follow this path to begin the best FSO Year:
Our plan only has 20 steps, but is just as magical.
Feed Your Mind
Sorry for the selfie.
2. Take an opportunity to review things posted in the FSO Toolkits, CDSE trainings, and other items that are available to you that can used to benefit your security program…and they are all FREE for you to use.
3. Get the free resources that FSO PRO offers with each monthly newsletter or go to our website for free downloads. We are also happy to answer, “what is this for?” types of questions. If you need more – we are putting the final touches on an “Ultimate FSO Planner” on our website that has a LOT more tools. It will be in the store by next Friday. Ask about it now and get a 10% off coupon code. ($19.99 normally, but free with a FSO PRO membership.)
Make a Strong Plan4. Each year, FSO Pro offers a one-page FREE FSO Action Planner. Get yours today!
5. DCSA has also created an Annual Planning Tool with an emphasis for each month (we are not saying they copied our idea, but we are not NOT saying it. Haha!) Use both to plan out your:
6. Training – for you and personnel.
7. Themes for each month.
8. Logins and new account processes.
9. Meetings/Calls with your DCSA Rep and your CISA to help identify your critical assets.
10. Annual Requirements
We are strong. No one can tell us we’re wrong.
Do Your Worst First9. Right as the year begins, take a huge step forward by doing what you like the least. We all have something that is difficult for various reasons,
10. Calling your DCSA Rep.
11. Scheduling a “Security Awareness week” with a speaker.
12. Updating your JPAS training.
13. Conducting specialized training.
14. Building your “Security Library” on a shared drive.
15. Using NISS, DISS, and SWFT.
Your task can seem daunting, But ignoring it won’t make it any easier.
Strengthen Your Network15. Make every effort to improve your communication with DCSA this year – this is a partnership and they need to hear from FSOs – especially with all the new systems. We have to move this forward together!
16. Go to the NCMS events and talk with other FSOs. You may find a great mentor!
17. Participate in FSO PROs polls, contests, and lobbying events – the subscriber list to this newsletter is growing each month. That is a great opportunity to help and encourage each other so don’t be shy about speaking up!
Strengthen Your BodyOkay – this one is and isn’t something highlighted on the DCSA website, but it is equally important to stay healthy. A lot of the FSO work can be tedious and require long hours. Being a physically strong FSO supports all the massive action that we encourage you to take, increases focus, mental clarity and helps maintain the energy you need. If this is going to be your best FSO year then: 18. Do the walk.
19. Eat foods with nutritional value.
20. Take the vitamins recommended by Mum! We also recommend Fandomfit.org because we are competitive nerds and like fitness plans that have team competitions and free prizes.
Get Fit. Have fun. Save the world.
We at FSO PRO are so grateful for you.
Thank you! Thank you!One more big Thank You to all the FSOs out there who have become part of the “FSO Success Newsletter”. Our goal was to help small business FSOs become very successful at managing and implementing a NISPOM-compliant security program. Many of you have also followed us on Instagram and Facebook and we have laughed, commiserated, and learned together over the last 12 months.
The more we grow, the more we are making things just for you such as tools, shortcuts, videos, checklists, contests, and things that add fun and function to what you do. Here’s to you and here’s to even more growth in 2020!
Coming Soon: the 2020 Ultimate FSO Planner!• Monthly Calendars
• NISP Planners
• Training Spreadsheet
• FSO Budget Planner
• Checklists for pre-screening, new hires, personnel clearances, and more! Get 10% off if you ask This Guy for more information! But FREE with FSOPRO Membership.
FSO PRO thanks all the FSOs out there for everything you do to keep the warfighter safe. Even the smallest task is designed to keep our nation’s information out of the hands of those who would do harm. We, as FSOs, are doing our part to stay vigilant and determined to protect those who protect us, even in our own small way.
That is why we say how awesome you are. And thank you.